综合一区欧美国产,99国产麻豆免费精品,九九精品黄色录像,亚洲激情青青草,久久亚洲熟妇熟,中文字幕av在线播放,国产一区二区卡,九九久久国产精品,久久精品视频免费

   

Israeli army chief of staff resigns

(AP)
Updated: 2007-01-17 08:35

JERUSALEM - Israeli army commander Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz, under fire for failures in last summer's war in Lebanon, has resigned, the Defense Ministry said early Wednesday.


Israeli army Chief of Staff Lt. Dan Halutz, left, and Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert attend a military ceremony at the Glilot army base near Tel Aviv, in this Aug. 1, 2006 file photo.[AP]
Halutz has been under pressure to step down since the end of the 34-day war, which failed in its goals of defeating the anti- Israel militant group Hezbollah and bringing home two captured soldiers.

Israeli launched a full-scale attack on Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas after they seized the two men and killed three other soldiers in a cross-border raid July 12.

Army Radio reported that Halutz sent his letter of resignation to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, saying that he was taking responsibility for the outcome of the war.

"For me the concept of responsibility is everything," Halutz wrote, according to Army Radio.

Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz have also come under withering criticism because of decisions made before and during the war.

In its announcement of Halutz's resignation, the military spokesman's office said Halutz had decided to resign now because the dozens of military inquiries into various aspects of the war had been completed.

None of the inquiries concluded that he should step aside or be replaced.

The spokesman's office said both Olmert and Peretz have to accept the resignation before it can go into effect.

There were no immediate comments from the offices of Olmert or Peretz, who have also been criticized for their conduct during the fighting.

The UN, Israeli and Lebanese officials said the war left more than 1,000 people dead on both sides. Lebanon's Higher Relief Council, a government group, says the majority of those killed were Lebanese civilians. UNICEF said that about a third of them were children.
12  


Top World News  
Today's Top News  
Most Commented/Read Stories in 48 Hours
云和县| 宁乡县| 城市| 尼木县| 右玉县| 胶州市| 吴忠市| 涿州市| 桦川县| 沙坪坝区| 东乡县| 太仓市| 海伦市| 甘洛县| 金沙县| 长沙县| 南阳市| 兴城市| 乡宁县| 丹凤县| 济阳县| 吴旗县| 安岳县| 梨树县| 普定县| 化州市| 楚雄市| 平南县| 七台河市| 乌拉特中旗| 会昌县| 阳春市| 南涧| 游戏| 呼和浩特市| 铁岭县| 黎城县| 玛曲县| 新丰县| 邹城市| 六安市|