综合一区欧美国产,99国产麻豆免费精品,九九精品黄色录像,亚洲激情青青草,久久亚洲熟妇熟,中文字幕av在线播放,国产一区二区卡,九九久久国产精品,久久精品视频免费

USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
China
Home / China / World

Over 40 Afghans killed in suicide attack at mosque

By Mushtaq Mojaddidi in Kabul, Afghanistan | China Daily | Updated: 2012-10-27 07:54

A suicide bomber killed more than 40 people, including five children, when he struck a mosque in northern Afghanistan after Eid al-Adha prayers on Friday, officials said.

It was the worst death toll in a single attack in Afghanistan since Dec 6 last year, when 80 died in a suicide blast at a shrine in Kabul on the Shiite holy day of Ashura.

At least 50 others were wounded as the bomb - reportedly stuffed with ball-bearings - ripped through the crowd of worshippers in Maymana city in Faryab province.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suicide bombings are a favorite weapon of Taliban Islamists trying to topple the government of President Hamid Karzai.

The attacker was wearing a police uniform when he blew himself up at the entrance to the city's packed Eid Gah mosque, deputy provincial governor Abdul Satar Barez said.

"We have 42 dead - more than 20 are security forces and the rest of them are civilians, including five or six children," he said.

"Around 51 are wounded, some 15 of them critically injured."

A member of parliament for Faryab, Naqeebullah Fayeq, who was present during the attack put the death toll at 47.

Barez, like many other provincial officials, was also at the scene at the time of the bombing and described the horror of the blast in the midst of a religious celebration.

"We had just finished Eid al-Adha prayers and we were congratulating and hugging each other," Barez said.

"Suddenly a big explosion took place and the area was full of dust and smoke and body parts of police and civilians were all over the place. It was a very powerful explosion."

One eyewitness, Sayed Moqeed, described the bomber as appearing to be in his early teens.

"Suddenly I heard a very big explosion," he said. "Everywhere were pieces of bodies, hands and limbs. The suicide attacker was in police uniform, he looked to be around 14 or 15 years old."

The four-day Eid al-Adha holiday is a celebration in which Muslims feast and distribute food to the poor, and the first day draws large crowds to mosques around the Islamic world.

Karzai strongly condemned the attack, calling the perpetrators "the enemies of Islam and humanity".

"Those who take the happiness of Muslims during Eid days cannot be called human and Muslim," he said.

Northern Afghanistan is relatively peaceful, with the Taliban, who were ousted from power in a US-led invasion in 2001, concentrating their operations in the south and east of the country.

But they have recently stepped up their activities in the north, despite the presence of more than 100,000 NATO troops in the country.

Last week, a huge roadside bomb ripped through a minibus carrying guests to a wedding party in the northern province of Balkh, near Faryab, killing 19 people and wounding 16 others.

The United Nations says 1,145 civilians were killed in the war in the first six months of this year, blaming 80 percent of the deaths on insurgents.

Agence France-Presse

Editor's picks
Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

Registration Number: 130349
FOLLOW US
江永县| 柯坪县| 长武县| 安平县| 文昌市| 花垣县| 攀枝花市| 泽州县| 平定县| 赞皇县| 巩义市| 襄垣县| 巴塘县| 宽甸| 马龙县| 托里县| 汽车| 武陟县| 开封市| 余庆县| 杭锦后旗| 石阡县| 类乌齐县| 武功县| 木里| 吉林市| 南乐县| 上思县| 郎溪县| 罗山县| 郓城县| 新建县| 永定县| 响水县| 德清县| 竹溪县| 隆林| 临清市| 和硕县| 绍兴市| 贡山|