综合一区欧美国产,99国产麻豆免费精品,九九精品黄色录像,亚洲激情青青草,久久亚洲熟妇熟,中文字幕av在线播放,国产一区二区卡,九九久久国产精品,久久精品视频免费

print edition
China Daily
HK edition
business weekly
Shanghai star
reports from China
web edition news
 
   
   
 
government info economic insights campus life Shanghai today metropolitan  
   
       
  Residents taken care of after flood gates opened
(YU NAN, China Daily staff)
07/07/2003

FUNAN, Anhui Province: Holding a piece of instant noodle in his hand, Zhang Zixue, 70, seemed resigned about the flood that destroyed his clay house in Wangjiaba.

The sluice gates of the Wangjiaba section of the Huaihe River, one of China's major rivers, were opened at 1 am on July 3 to divert the river's surging flood waters caused by heavy rainfall. They closed at 6 am on July 5, after the heavy rains stopped for several hours and the water level dropped to 28.91 metres, 0.09 metres below the safety line.

Zhang is among the 150,000 people who live in the Mengwa Flood Diversion Area in Funan. Altogether, 19,142 people who live on lower ground have been directly affected by the diversion and altogether 12,000 hectares of farmland have been submerged.

"I can understand why the sluice gates were opened. If not, people on the upper reaches would face a serious threat," Zhang said.

With help from three local militia soldiers and the village head, Zhang said that most of his valuables, as well as his livestock - including ducks, chickens and pigs - were moved to safe places before the sluice gates were opened.

Zhang and his 70-year-old wife Wang Zhaolan are now living in a camp built by the local government, where flour, rice, coal and drinking water are provided daily.

"We have tried every means to ensure the people's safety and minimize their property losses," said Yang Wenjiu, vice-director of the local flood-control headquarters, who has had little opportunity to rest in the past few days.

Yang said they went all out to arrange the emergency relief work and make the flood diversion proceed smoothly. Although tired, he and his colleagues felt pleased that no one has been injured or killed.

Tons of flour and rice have been delivered to 75 villages in the diversion areas by boats and hundreds of camps have been built on higher ground in the diversion areas.

For those whose houses have collapsed or were submerged by water, Yang said, they had been ordered to live on the higher ground to avoid possible flood damage.

(HK Edition 07/07/2003 page2)

   
       
               
         
               
   
 

| frontpage | nation | business | HK\Taiwan | snapshots | focus |
| governmentinfo | economic insights | campus life | Shanghai today | metropolitan |

   
 
 
   
 
 
  | Copyright 2000 By China Daily Hong Kong Edition. All rights reserved. |
| Email: cndyhked@chinadaily.com.cn | Fax: 25559103 | News: 25185107 | Subscription: 25185130 |
| Advertising: 25185128 | Price: HK$5 |

    1. 瓦房店市| 错那县| 曲松县| 寻甸| 来安县| 淮滨县| 鞍山市| 临澧县| 保靖县| 大同县| 泾阳县| 靖宇县| 库车县| 九龙城区| 湖南省| 繁峙县| 罗山县| 奉新县| 谢通门县| 岳西县| 恩施市| 邹平县| 江达县| 资阳市| 察隅县| 岱山县| 禄劝| 济源市| 夏邑县| 西青区| 曲水县| 闽清县| 乡城县| 汽车| 修武县| 盐亭县| 神木县| 个旧市| 鹤峰县| 德兴市| 盐山县|