综合一区欧美国产,99国产麻豆免费精品,九九精品黄色录像,亚洲激情青青草,久久亚洲熟妇熟,中文字幕av在线播放,国产一区二区卡,九九久久国产精品,久久精品视频免费

WORLD> Photo
Wildfire devastates celebrity enclave near L.A.
(Agencies)
Updated: 2008-11-14 21:45

LOS ANGELES -- A huge wildfire fanned by strong winds destroyed at least 70 multimillion-dollar homes in the celebrity enclave of Montecito, northwest of Los Angeles, officials said.


A man tries to put out a fire at a home in Santa Barbara, California November 14, 2008. A huge wildfire fanned by strong winds destroyed at least 70 multimillion-dollar homes in the celebrity enclave of Montecito, northwest of Los Angeles, officials said. [Agencies]

The brush fire quickly engulfed more than 800 acres in about six hours on Thursday, ripping through entire blocks of mansions in a community dubbed "America's Riviera." Firefighters were largely powerless to stop the destruction.

Montecito, whose 10,000 homeowners include actors John Cleese, Christopher Lloyd and Rob Lowe as well as talk-show host Oprah Winfrey, is about 90 miles from Los Angeles in coastal Santa Barbara County.

About 2,500 residents were forced to flee the flames, and 20,000 people in the wider area were without power. Four minor injuries were reported.

A residence hall and several classrooms were destroyed at Westmont College, a private Christian university, and about 800 students were evacuated to the school's fireproof gymnasium, where they were out of harm's way.

By early Friday, the relentless fire had spread 5 miles north to the fringes of Santa Barbara city, where at least 20 homes were damaged, officials said.

In an unusual -- and risky -- move, three water-dropping helicopters were dispatched to the area. Such missions are not normally undertaken at night. Winds reaching 70 miles per hour (110 km per hour) were an added complication.

Many of the homes in the area are vacation or second homes. Other residents include cell-phone pioneer Craig McCaw, and Google Inc chief executive Eric Schmidt, who reportedly paid about $20 million for comedian Ellen DeGeneres' compound earlier this year. It was not known if any of these homes were affected.

Southern California is on high wildfire alert this weekend due to unseasonably hot weather, drought conditions and forecasts of strong Santa Ana winds blowing in from the desert.

A year ago, 30 wildfires burned during one week in Southern California, destroying some 2,000 homes and forcing a record 500,000 residents to evacuate.

   Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next Page  
静安区| 杭锦旗| 芜湖县| 资兴市| 广安市| 吉首市| 彭山县| 手游| 那坡县| 三河市| 泗水县| 常州市| 吉林省| 大邑县| 武安市| 开化县| 白朗县| 邓州市| 丹阳市| 大港区| 渑池县| 平凉市| 景宁| 德州市| 舟山市| 古蔺县| 罗城| 家居| 嘉定区| 固镇县| 内乡县| 贡嘎县| 五寨县| 安平县| 嘉善县| 卓尼县| 宁安市| 建宁县| 海伦市| 微博| 宜川县|